What Should I Do after My Temporary Graduate Visa Expires?

The subclass 485 visa is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity visa that cannot be extended. But it does not indicate that you can apply for this Visa Subclass 485 only once. You can apply for this visa once as the main applicant but can also choose to apply for this visa later as a secondary applicant or a dependent of the main applicant.

If your temporary graduate visa has expired or you do not have a partner eligible for the visa, you can explore other eligible options. You can contact a migration expert or agent if you need help in choosing a visa. In this guide, you will learn what to do after your 485 visas have expired.

Can You Extend Your Temporary Graduate Visa?

The 485 visa is a temporary visa in Australia that indicates you cannot extend it. But due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Australian government offered a 6-month extension on the Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 from 18 to 24 months.

What is the Eligibility to Extend the Temporary Graduate Visa?

The 485 visa holders under the Graduate work stream are eligible for a six-month extension of this visa if it was granted before or after December 2021. British National Overseas and Hong Kong passport holders can stay up to five years in Australia using this visa.

The Australian government also introduced a new stream under this visa, the Replacement stream. This stream is for the former and current subclass 285 visa holders. To be eligible for this stream, you must have held a relevant 485 visa granted to you before 15 December 2021 and lost time due to the COVID-19 travel restrictions.

The length of this visa under the new stream will be the same as the visa previously granted to you. Your visa could be extended to three years if your visa was granted to you due to a Master of Coursework qualification. Similarly, if a Graduate Visa 485 was granted to you, the time can be extended from 18 months to two years.

How Do You Extend the Subclass 485 Visa?

If you want to benefit from the 6-month extension of the subclass 485 visa, you do not need to lodge an application, as the extension will automatically take place. Before you apply for the replacement visa stream under this visa, you must know that you should lodge the application before 1 January 2027 and pay the fees.

Available Options Other Than a Subclass 485 Visa

If you do not want to apply for the 485 visas again, you can apply for other visas such as:

Skilled permanent visa

When you hold the subclass 485 visa, you can enjoy the same work rights comparable to an Australian permanent resident. This provides you with a chance to experience the Australian work culture. Other than the temporary graduate visa, you can apply for the permanent skilled visa, which are points-based.

Under this visa, you will acquire points for your age, English level, experience and much more. After completing a course in Australia, you can get more points, and if you study in regional Australia, you can gain another five points. If you are able to pass a paraprofessional translator test, you can get another five points.

Other than that, if your spouse or partner can get their skills assessed, you can gain another five points. You might also be granted permanent residency when you study and work in an occupation in Australia. You can take the help of a migration agent in Adelaide to know what visa option is best for you.

Employer-Sponsored visa

If you have been working for some time under an employer in Australia, they might want you to stay longer. You can ask your employer if they can help you with an employer-sponsored visa. Depending on your experience and work, you can apply for a subclass 407, 196 or 494 visa. While some of these visas are temporary, some are permanent. You can consult with an expert to know what visa type is best for you.

Australian partner visa

If you arrived in Australia single, there are chances that you have found the love of your life. You will be lucky if your better half is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, as they can sponsor you for a partner visa. You do not even need to be married to apply for a partner visa in Australia. Applying for a partner visa can be lengthy and complex; this is why you need to look for a migration agent to help you.

New Zealand dependant visa

A partner visa may not be an option if you are in a relationship with a New Zealander. There is a special visa for the members of a New Zealander’s family, and it is a subclass 461 visa.

Becoming a dependant on your spouse’s visa

Before applying for a Visa Subclass 485, you must know that sharing your life with others is always better. If you have a partner, it becomes easier for you to apply for a visa, and it does not matter if you are gay or lesbian.

If both you and your partner hold the same visa, one of you can become dependent on the other visa. You must plan properly and carefully, as not all Australian visas allow dependents. You can contact a migration agent to know more about visa options.

Australian student visa

If none of the above-stated visas suits you, you can opt for a student visa in Australia. This unique visa for you can also help you become a permanent visa. A course comprising a few months can also make you eligible for a permanent visa.

If your work does not allow you to apply for a skilled visa, you can opt to change your career. You must choose a course in Australia that can offer you permanent residency. Choosing a GTE assessment can benefit you when you apply for a student visa.

Tourist visa

You can opt to contact a migration agent in Adelaide before you choose to change your visa or look for other visa options. If you have arrived in Australia to enjoy some days of sightseeing, you can opt for an Australian tourist visa.

You Must Use Your Subclass 485 Visa Wisely.

There is not much you can do when your subclass 485 is about to expire, but as long as you have the visa, you need to use it wisely. If you are applying for a 485 visa for the first time, you need to consider the following:

  • Work experience– You will be able to work full-time under the 485 visa. You need to find an employer and ask them to assist you in acquiring a residency visa.

  • Regional visas– when you hold the subclass 485 visa, you can work anywhere in Australia. You must try to find an employer in the regional areas of Australia, and this can increase your chances of acquiring a state nomination.

Bottom Line

If you do not want to apply for the 485 visas again after it expires, you can opt for other visas for your stay in Australia. Getting advice from a professional can help you make the best choice in terms of a visa. You can type ‘Immigration Agent Near Me’ when choosing an expert to help you with your visa. Many immigration agents in Adelaide can help you choose a visa for your stay in Australia and check if your 485 visas can be extended.