A fence is a very important part of your property. It’s not simply a decorative element, it has many functions and needs to be properly designed and installed.
It is important to have a fence that is properly anchored to the ground. If a fence is not properly secured by a fence company, it may be subject to damage due to wind, snow or even high winds. When the fence goes loose away from the post, water may accumulate between this gap leading to rotting or decay of wood structures. To prevent this kind of damage it’s important for people to inspect fences periodically and check for weak areas that are prone to water damage. Repairing these weak areas and adding additional strength to the fence is recommended especially during summer months.
When there is insufficient wood on a fence to provide the necessary support, an area of the fence may sag and become water-damaged due to windy weather or heavy snow accumulation. When this happens, anything that was stored within the sagging area may be extracted from below ground level and damaged. A few simple precautions can help avoid this scenario by preventing water from accumulating at the base of fencing posts or other supporting structures.
When a fence is secured to a post, it is important for it to be properly hung on each post at the same height. This does not necessarily mean that there must be no space between each post. It’s more important for the vertical lines of posts to be parallel, because by doing this regular maintenance becomes much less frequent. Doing regular maintenance makes it easier to detect and repair any damage that may occur. This will also help prevent the growth of pests.
Precautions for water damage to fence:
Many automatic sprinkler systems are installed to prevent water from collecting at the base of each fence post. These systems should be periodically checked as they have a tendency to malfunction during heavy storms and remaining water at the base of each post can result in rot and decay of wood structures caused by moisture that cannot drain away from the base.
Whether you are out landscaping or just need your fence repaired by a fence company, one of the best things you can do is to take the time to make sure your fence is in good condition before attempting any repairs. Not taking this step beforehand can lead to unnecessary damage that will cost you a lot more time and money.
Many homeowners encounter water damage to their fences from time to time. Some types of fences are more vulnerable than others, and there are some important steps that should be taken in the event of a water emergency.
Here is a list of some precautions you can take:
- First, make sure you have your cellphone on you at all times. Not only is this an emergency number but it also provides handy information on your location so that emergency personnel can find you easily.
- Be sure to keep an eye on any wooded areas around your home. Make sure that the area is well maintained, and avoid areas where there are pipes or underground sump pumps.
- Do not stop the drainage in your yard if you know where it goes. This is a common method of flood control, but can cause basement flooding if the water gets into the house.
- Secure anything with a hinge mechanism or other potential points of weakness, such as old gates or poles that are leaning against fence posts.
What should you use for wood fencing that has been swamped?
It will depend on what type of wood you have and how much damage you’ve had. If it’s not too bad, a fence company probably won’t be needed, but to really make sure you’re using the right products and techniques. At the very least, they’ll be able to tell you what products are appropriate for your situation.
The wood fence will be so dry that it’s brittle and will crack. You’ll need to clean the wood, and then seal it to prevent the wood from rotting further. Most of the time, sealing a fence is best done by a fence company because they know how to do it right and can also recommend how to prevent future damage.
Wood has a number of different components, some of which are water resistant, while others aren’t. The water resistant components will be soaked by the water and will swell. This can cause cracks to appear in the wood and make it brittle. You’ll want to clean as much of this water out as possible. If you’re dealing with rot, you’ll need to replace the entire piece of wood, but if it’s just water damage, chances are you’ll only have to replace a few boards.
If you’re just sealing and not replacing any boards, you should start by cleaning all of the dirt off the fence using a soft brush. You can do this by hand, but it will be faster if you use a pressure washer. Make sure you aren’t spraying the water so hard that you remove any of the stain or paint. Once it’s clean, you’ll need to apply a sealant to prevent the wood from degrading in the future, and this is best done by a professional. Apply two coats of sealant and wait at least 24 hours between each coat.
Water damage isn’t just for houses anymore, you could save some significant cash on your hard earned dollars by preventing water damage to your fence. And, that means paying attention to how you’re storing your fence.
Water damage is the leading cause of fence damage. There are a few ways to keep your fence looking good for a long time, and we have listed them below.
- If you live in an area that gets a lot of rain, it’s always best to dry out your fencing as soon as possible. This includes spray drying, which can be done in your garage or on the driveway.
- If your fence is already damaged, and you can see that the wood has warped or cracks have formed, you should immediately contact a fence repair contractor in order to get an estimate on how much it will cost to complete a full fence restoration project. This is when having a good relationship with your local fence company will really come in handy!
- If you have a fence that is starting to rot at the base, it’s much easier to replace the whole thing. Fences are priced based on size and materials, so we will take all of your measurements so that you can get a rough estimate on how much we will need to order and install your new fence.
- If you’d like to keep your fence looking good, but aren’t that concerned about how long it will last, you can always replace at least one or two boards every couple of years. This will keep the appearance of your fence in top shape!
- Lastly, it’s a good idea to contact a fence repair contractor if you see any damage or cracks developing in your fence.