An FD investment is the safest option for protected capital and a guaranteed income for senior citizens. The Senior Citizen Fixed Deposit Interest Rates offered by banks are higher than those below 60 years, up to 0.50%.
So if you wish to open an FD, you can choose to get payouts to meet expenses or get the total interest upon maturity. However, you can get your FD account opened in minutes without documentation if you’re an existing bank customer. However, if your interest withdrawal exceeds Rs 50000, you must produce a pan card. Continue reading for more information.
How to use a calculator for a fixed deposit?
This remarkable tool gives you an estimate of the interest you get upon maturity in your chosen tenure. You need to feed in your deposit amount, interest rate, and term of the fixed deposit to get the estimated returns. Also, you get a column in the calculator to check the total interest adjacent to the maturity amount. And you can choose to enter the FD tenure in months or years.
Why use a calculator to calculate senior citizen fixed deposits?
It is the best way to have a well-informed financial decision before investing in an FD. Also, it helps you align your financial goals with the existing budget.
Secondly, the main reason to opt for a fixed deposit is to reduce risk and gain guaranteed returns. For instance, investing in equity funds gives you a higher chance of encountering a risk of losing the funds. But investing in a fixed deposit lessens that threat. So calculating it beforehand gives you an understanding of how much to invest in FD.
Above all, using a Calculator for Fixed Deposits helps you compare various schemes offered by banks and financial institutions, similar to how you use an EMI calculator for a personal loan. So you get to know the best scheme with maximum returns within your chosen tenure.
How to calculate FD interest for senior citizens?
You can calculate the Senior Citizen Fixed Deposit Interest Rates in three ways;
- Through online calculators for accurate results
- Simple interest
- Compound interest
Enter your desired deposit amount
Enter the interest rate
Enter the tenure till which you wish your FD account to be active
Using the formula, SI = P x R x T/ 100. You can calculate the fixed deposit interest where,
SI stands for Simple Interest
P stands for the Principal invested amount
R is the Interest Rate (in %)
T stands for the tenure
Yet another formula-related calculation using A = P (1+r/n) ^ (n * t) where,
A is the Maturity Amount
P = Principal amount
r = Rate of Interest (in decimals)
n = compounding number per year
t = the total number of years
Features and Benefits of a Senior Citizen Fixed Deposit
Over regular interest rates, senior citizens usually enjoy a step higher with the following benefits:
- The deposit tenure ranges between 7 months to 10 years.
- You are eligible to apply for senior citizen fixed deposit schemes online or offline.
- The minimum deposit is Rs. 5000, and there is no maximum limit.
- You can withdraw deposits from banks or non-banking financial institutions.
- Your capital investment is safe from market volatility.
- You are eligible for a tax deduction of up to Rs.1.5 lakhs under Section 80C of the Income Tax Act, 1961. And can choose a 5-year tax-saving FD scheme.
- The interest earned upon maturity is eligible for being tax-free up to Rs.50 000 under Section 80 TTB of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
- You can make your fixed deposit a source of income because of the monthly, quarterly, interest payments.
How to open a fixed deposit for a senior citizen?
Here’s how you open a fixed deposit if this blog persuades you to get income from the comfort of your home & enjoy your old age:
- ID and age proof
- Proof of Address
- PAN Card or Form 60
- Form 15H
Eligibility for senior citizen fixed deposit interest rates
Before going to apply for the fixed deposit, ensure to meet the following criteria:
- Applicants Aged 60 years or above can apply.
- If you’re a superior senior citizen (above 80 years), you can avail of additional FD rates over others.