Despite being trendy lately, aromatherapy started a long time ago. Although newer and better aroma diffusers are on sale today, the use of essential oils started thousands of years ago.
The popularity of essential oils is linked to the numerous mental and physical benefits. When inhaling certain aromas, you improve respiratory health, relieve stress, and enhance cognitive functions.
So, how do you use an ultrasonic aroma diffuser to reap all the benefits?
How to Use an Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuser
Once you get an ultrasonic diffuser, place it in the best location in your house. Pick an open area with an outlet nearby since you will need to plug it in. In addition, place a towel or table mat under the diffuser since it uses water. This placement is necessary, especially if you are using a wooden surface. Also, avoid placing the diffuser near fans or in direct sunlight.
When the ultrasonic aroma diffuser is in place, follow these steps:
Step 1 – Add Water to the Diffuser
Every diffuser has a water tank. You should fill the water tank up to the fill line. Ensure you don’t go over the mark, as your diffuser won’t work correctly if that happens. Moreover, always use clean tap water at room temperature to fill the reservoir.
Some diffusers have a measuring cup to help get the water amount right. Read the diffuser’s manual if you have any issues finding the maximum water level mark.
Step 2 – Add Essential Oils
Different aromatherapy oils exist for various purposes. So, once you pick out your favourite scents, add three to ten drops into the water. Usually, single essential oils work perfectly. For instance, you might choose lavender alone or get an essential oil blend.
Ordinarily, about six drops are enough. However, if you are working with a larger space or want a stronger scent, you should add more. Since it is your first time using a diffuser, experiment with the oils and amounts until you get what you prefer.
Step 3 – Turn On the Diffuser
After adding the aromatherapy oil, put back the top of the diffuser. Some models have extra features like LED lights and nightlights. So, if that’s the case with your diffuser, switch on that feature. Moreover, other models have a time setting. So, you can choose how long you want the diffuser on. Every brand and model is different, and learning how your diffuser works helps amplify your experience.
Cleaning Your Ultrasonic Aroma Diffuser
Make it a habit to empty the water from your diffuser’s reservoir after every use. If the water stays there too long, it can cause mold formation. Therefore, drain the water tank after every use, wipe it down with a cloth, and leave it open. Keeping the diffuser lid off allows it to air before using it again.
- If you constantly use the diffuser, thorough cleaning is necessary every two to four weeks. Here’s how to do it:
- Add water to the diffuser, followed by a tablespoon of vinegar (a natural disinfectant).
- Proceed to turn on the diffuser for about 10 to 20 minutes, allowing the vinegar to diffuse. It is advisable to leave the room since the smell will be more pungent than that of essential oils. However, that will clean the inside of the diffuser.
- After the 20 minutes, dip a cloth in the water and vinegar mix and wipe the outside of the diffuser. Moreover, use a Q-tip to get into the nooks and crannies. You want the diffuser to be completely clean.
- Pour out all the liquid and dry the diffuser with a clean cloth. Afterward, leave it open to air dry.
Aroma diffusers are excellent for filling your house or office with wonderful scents that relieve stress and release beautiful aromas. Many types of diffusers are available, and it is up to you to decide the features and model you want. So, grab one today and start your aromatherapy journey.