High demand for Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies is now being used for business, medicine, healthcare, and many other industries in everyday life. For example, AI applications in healthcare are mainly used for personalized treatment and X-ray readings. Thus, artificial intelligence in healthcare relates to diagnosis, treatments, patient monitoring and compliance, and administrative activities in healthcare services.
Therefore, what are artificial intelligence’s benefits and prominent applications in healthcare?
Benefits of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare
Artificial intelligence use in healthcare has shown a positive trend over the years. The presence of AI technologies is helping medical practitioners and administrative workers working in this field. Patients also benefit from AI services in monitoring their health.
So, what are the most common benefits of artificial intelligence in healthcare today?
- Saving costs incurred by health practitioners
- Facilitate services to patients
- Time efficient during service, consultation and treatment process
- Manage patients’ disease more accurately
- Reduce workload on services, treatment, care, etc.
6 Applications of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare
The applications of artificial intelligence in healthcare help provide explanations regarding health problems to patients. Hence, help make decisions for both doctors and nurses in determining the next steps in the treatment process. The following are six applications of artificial intelligence in healthcare that are currently being used in modern hospitals:
- Recognizing a patient’s future condition— AI technology helps detect a patient’s disease and condition later. Data from the AI system will interpret the patient’s condition, mainly blood pressure, pulse, and body temperature, to analyze and determine the patient’s health progress.
- Hospital process efficiency— AI technology helps hospital staff to be able to access information related to patient’s treatment history and medication, as well as the patient’s radiology data.
- Health monitoring— A health monitoring AI technology is connected to a smartwatch. This application can monitor the user’s heart rate and activity level daily. Thus, a smartwatch can record the user’s daily health as a source of information for doctors if the user’s health is in bad condition.
- New drug invention— AI technology will make new drug inventions much faster. AI can also be used to scan existing drugs which can be redesigned to fight a particular disease.
- Virtual nurse assistant— A virtual nurse assistant app has been developed by several companies and startups. For example, Sensely is used by nurses to monitor and follow up on a patient’s condition.
- Cancer detection through medical imaging— AI technology can also detect early signs of a tumor or cancer through mammography. Thus, the detection of a tumor and cancer is much faster, and treatment can also be done quickly.
In today’s era, the role of AI technology is significant. It plays a role in various fields and aims to make human work easier and more efficient. Therefore, artificial intelligence in healthcare is important to help minimize misdiagnosis and other medical purposes caused by human errors. In addition, the applications of artificial intelligence in healthcare mentioned above will hopefully change the world of healthcare today and in the future.