Ansoo Lake, located in the Himalayan mountain range in Pakistan, is a hidden gem that offers a unique and challenging trekking experience. The lake is known for its remote location, stunning natural beauty, and its unique shape which resemble a tear drop, hence the name ‘Ansoo’ which means tear drop in Urdu. This trek is not for the faint of heart, but those who make the journey are rewarded with breathtaking views and an unforgettable experience.
2. Planning Your Trek
- The trek to Ansoo Lake is considered to be a challenging one, so it is important to plan ahead. The best time to visit Ansoo Lake is between June and September, when the weather is mild and the snow has melted. It is advisable to hire a guide who is familiar with the area and can provide valuable information and help you navigate the terrain. You will also need to pack appropriate gear such as proper hiking boots, warm clothing, and a good quality sleeping bag.
3. The Trek Itself
- The trek to Ansoo Lake starts from a small village called Malika Parbat Base Camp, located in the Kalaash Valley. The trek is approximately 20km one way and takes around 3-4 days to complete. The first part of the trek is relatively easy, following a well-defined trail through the Kalaash Valley. The scenery is breathtaking, with lush green forests and snow-capped peaks in the background. As you progress, the trail becomes more challenging, with steep climbs and rocky terrain. The last leg of the trek is a steep ascent to the lake itself.
4. The Lake
- Ansoo Lake is a high altitude lake, situated at an elevation of 4,200m. The lake is known for its unique shape which is said to resemble a tear drop, hence the name ‘Ansoo’ which means tear drop in Urdu. The lake is surrounded by snow-capped peaks and glaciers, providing a stunning backdrop. The water of the lake is crystal clear and is fed by melting glaciers, which gives it a bluish-green color. The lake is considered to be sacred by the local people and is a protected area.
5. The Surrounding Area
- The area surrounding Ansoo Lake is a true wilderness, with no human habitation or facilities. The only sign of life are the grazing yaks and the occasional herd of mountain goats. The silence and isolation of the area can be both eerie and peaceful at the same time. The natural beauty of the area is truly breathtaking, with snow-capped peaks, glaciers, and alpine meadows all around.
6. The Return Trip
- The return trip is just as challenging as the ascent, and it’s important to take your time and be careful on the descent. The trail can be slippery and uneven, so it’s important to watch your footing. The good news is that the return trip is downhill, which makes it slightly easier. However, it’s still important to be prepared for a physically demanding journey.
- The reward for completing the trek is the stunning view of the lake and its surroundings. The lake is surrounded by snow-capped peaks and glaciers, providing a stunning backdrop. The water of the lake is crystal clear and is fed by melting glaciers, which gives it a bluish-green color. It’s an ideal spot for photography enthusiasts and nature lovers. The lake can be reached by camping nearby and enjoying the serene beauty of the lake in the morning and evening.
- As the trek is challenging, it’s important to take safety measures. The trail can be slippery and uneven, so it’s important to watch your footing. Make sure to carry enough food and water, and also to have a first aid kit with you. It’s important to be aware of the altitude and to acclimatize properly before starting the trek. It’s also advisable to hire a guide who is familiar with the area and can provide valuable information and help you navigate the terrain.
Challenges and Tips
- The trek is challenging due to the altitude and the steep climb, but with proper planning and preparation, you can make the journey a lot easier. It’s important to be in good physical shape and to train before embarking on the trek. It’s also important to acclimatize properly before starting the trek. Start the trek at a slow pace and take rest as needed. Make sure to carry enough food and water, as well as a first aid kit. Additionally, It’s important to have the right gear and equipment, including proper hiking boots, warm clothing, and a good quality sleeping bag.
- Trekking to Ansoo Lake is a challenging but rewarding experience. The trek is not for the faint of heart, but those who make the journey are rewarded with breathtaking views, an unforgettable experience and the satisfaction of having accomplished a challenging trek. The lake and its surrounding area offer a unique and beautiful wilderness experience that is not to be missed. It’s important to be prepared, both physically and mentally, for the trek, but with proper planning and preparation, anyone can enjoy the beauty of Ansoo Lake.